Hey guys, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend! I spent time with family, went to church on Christmas Eve, and then spent Christmas day at home with my boyfriend and our dogs. We had a very relaxing day and took lots of naps!. Unfortunately tomorrow it’s back to work! All good things must come to an end..right?
So, last week a marketing company that my company works with sent us over a “work cookbook” with a collection of their employees’ favorite recipes.
I decided to try a recipe for French toast casserole. I thought this would be a yummy breakfast for Christmas morning while we were opening gifts! It turned out great, so I wanted to share it with you!
You’ll need the following ingredients:
1 loaf of sourdough bread
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
The Night Before:
- Tear pieces of bread into pieces and put into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- In a bowl, combine your eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour this mixture evenly over your bread.
- Cover up the bread and put in the refrigerator overnight!
The Next Morning:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut in butter until your mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over your bread.
*I would recommend folding the mixture in a little. Otherwise it doesn’t get down into your other layers of bread.
- Bake in the oven for an hour. If the bread is too soft, keep in the oven a few more minutes.
- Serve with syrup!
**Just a little side story to go with this, I had the casserole in the oven and realized that we didn’t have syrup….FAIL. Since almost every store was closed, we had to drive to THREE! gas stations to find syrup. Luckily we did, and it turned out great! I will definitely be making this again!
What Christmas morning traditions do you and your family have? Let me know below!