(This post contains affiliate links. This in no way sways my opinion of these products, all of these opinions are mine.)
Alright ladies (and potentially gentlemen!), now that the holidays are over, it’s time to spend those gift cards!! If you’re like me, you got Ulta or Sephora gift cards for Christmas. I love gift cards, but when I get them I always like to spend them wisely. Sometimes this makes it difficult to spend the gift card because I don’t want to waste them!!
I found myself looking at different “Top” lists to get some ideas. When I want to buy lipsticks, I love to look over “top” lists, I find them really helpful. I love both liquid lipsticks and regular lipsticks, but there are so many brands and formulas out there. I like to do my research before buying them.
What I look for in a lipstick is longevity, good pigmentation, and comfortable wear. I also like to try and find a bargain, but I know sometimes you pay for what you get. Luckily my list includes both high-end and drugstore lipsticks, so there is an option for every budget! You’ll also notice I go for a nude/mauve lipstick….I’m too much of a sissy to wear anything else!! But all of these lines have many colors, so there is something for every skin tone!
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick: I waited to buy this lipstick for a long time. Not because I didn’t think it would be good, I had seen a lot of rave reviews, but because of the price tag. I am cheap…and I like to try to be with makeup too. When I finally broke down and bought it, I couldn’t have been happier! It dries down completely matte and feels like you’re literally wearing nothing. It also stays on very well. I put it on around 7am, before work, eat and drink coffee all morning, and I can still see it at noon. Now it doesn’t look like I just put it on, but it fades really well and doesn’t crack or look dry. There is also 30 colors to choose from which is a great shade range! If you’re willing to foot the bill, this is a great option
- Wet N Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Lipstick: When I saw these coming out earlier last year, I knew I had to have them. They’re cheap, and they’re good! They don’t have a huge color range, but they had the mauvey tone I was looking for! They don’t have the longevity of some of the others on the list, but if you’re on a budget, you can always reapply this. It dries down to a very comfortable matte. I would suggest this if you’re on a budget or you want to try liquid lipsticks for the first time. They won’t disappoint!
- Dose of Colors Matte Liquid Lipstick: This is a recent buy for me. I’ve seen it reviewed many times, but it just recently came to Ulta. I’ve looked at them and swatched them a few times at Ulta. The price tag always threw me off….I always try to find something similar for a better price. Well since I got a giftcard for Christmas, I decided to take the plunge. It is just as good as the Anastasia lipstick. The only difference is the longevity. It definitely kept its full pigmentation longer. This line has 29 colors, so there is something for everyone
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream: So this lipstick I bought on a whim, but it turned out to be awesome! This is probably my favorite to wear because it dries down completely matte and you literally can’t feel it. It stays well too, and is a great deal for the price. There are 34 colors, so you’re bound to find something that fits you! I have nothing bad to say about this lipstick, I would definitely try it! At the low price, you have nothing to lose!
- Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color: This lipstick I have had the longest amount of time, and will definitely repurchase when it is gone. Out of the 5, this is the most like a lipstick. It has a creamy application, but dries down matte. You can feel that you’re wearing it, but it’s not uncomfortable. It also lasts a really long time. For the price this is another really good deal. Maybelline has many different colors in this line, and they break them into categories, such as nudes, rose, mauve, reds, etc. They are separated really well in the store too. So if you’re going for more of a lipstick, this would be my top choice!
Here are swatches of the shades: (Top to bottom) Wet N Wild: Rebel Rose NYX: San Paulo Dose of Colors: Stone ABH: Dusty Rose Maybelline: Touch of Spice
Disclaimer: I always put on chaptstick while I’m doing my makeup so it has time to sink in before I apply my lipstick. This helps keep your matte lipsticks from looking dried out and flakey. I also recommend using a lip scrub a few times a week to help your lips stay smooth.
What are some of your favorite matte lipsticks? I’m always on the lookout for different lipsticks! Let me know in the comments!