Alright friends! I’ve been blogging for six months! I wanted to share my journey thus far, because I feel like there are a lot of posts out there making blogging seem simple.
Why did I start?
I started blogging to make sense extra money. I love décor, beauty, and DIY’s so I thought it would be fun to write about them and maybe make some extra money! At the time, I recently moved over an hour from my family and friends and my anxiety was high. I felt like this would be a good outlet. And it is! I really enjoy trying out new products and projects to write about in my blog! I also love reading about what other people like and learning about new things from other bloggers!
What have I learned?
1. Blogging is time consuming. From the start! If you don’t know anything about setting up a website, Pinterest will be your best friend. There’s a wealth of knowledge! But it takes time to learn. I work a full time job, and I have to work on new posts and promoting those posts most days after work to be consistent with my blog.
2. Blogging can be fun! I love talking about things I enjoy and learning new things from other people! I also enjoy making pins and the marketing side of blogging. Connecting with others all over the world is fun! I’ve even received some free products from a brand I really like just by promoting them on Twitter! I am so thankful for that, and it was so cool that they reached out to me. 🙂
3. Blogging costs money. Well it doesn’t have to, but if you want to make money you have to spend it. So be prepared for that! I currently have a free theme, because there are so many of them and I’m satisfied with mine. But there are some cheap options out there! I’ve looked around a lot on https://creativemarket.com/. They also have fonts and graphics you can purchase as well! For free themes, I either looked through the options WordPress had, or I searched Pinterest for them!
4. You can make money, but it’s hard! Up until this point I’ve made $9. There are some bloggers who make money, and a lot of it, but I do think it is rare, especially at the beginning. Which can be discouraging. Keep that in mind! Right now I’m just focusing on different content I want to post about instead of making money. Focusing just on making money will make you frustrated!
5. Views will fluctuate. There will be good days and bad. Just continue with what you’re doing and they will increase. It can be tough, but everyone has the same issues. Just keep sticking with it! Right now I feel like my views are the highest on the day of a new blog, and drop dramatically after that. This is super annoying….especially since I’m not changing what worked before.
6. Take a break. There’s been a few times I’ve taken a week off blogging and just keep promoting other posts. It helps to not get burnt out, especially if you’re working a full time job. I know I feel like I HAVE to be doing blog stuff when I’m not at work. It’s good to remember to take time for yourself!
7. Join new Facebook groups, get rid of others. I have recently reevaluated the Facebook groups I am a part of. If the threads they have aren’t getting a lot of interaction, I got out of the group. I also searched for new groups by searching on Pinterest. Here are a few of my faves!
What are my future blog plans?
Before I started my blog, I decided that since I was going to be putting money into it, I would give it a good go for at least a year. I’ve felt discouraged lately, so that’s been making it tough! My views aren’t where they were at one time, and I was working hard on Pinterest, but I haven’t been seeing all of the views that people say you will from Pinterest. I took a little time off and now I’m getting back into it! I think its important to remember why you like to blog and focus on that. It can be easy to get discouraged, but remember that EVERYONE has highs and lows.
Want to see how my first three months went, and some tips I have for starting a blog? Check out my 3 month blog post!
What has your blogging journey been like?